A bunion is an enlarged area near the big toe caused by a joint being out of alignment. Wearing shoes increases the feeling of pain and swelling related to a bunion condition.
- 8 out of 1,000 males have bunions, compared to 38 out of 1,000 females
- Out of people aged 65 or over, 55 out of 1,000 have bunions
- 63% of patients afflicted with bunions see a podiatrist
Causes of Bunions
- Genetic predisposition
- Abnormalities in the biomechanical aspect of the body
- Footwear that does not fit properly
- Trauma to the feet
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Congenital deformities
What can a patient do?
- Be sure that footwear is roomy and comfortable
- Utilize accommodative foot pads
- Ice the foot
What can a podiatrist do for you?
- Examine the foot from a professional medical standpoint
- Provide custom orthoses
- Suggest effective padding or tape
- Allow for a bone scan, X-ray, CT, or MRI to be performed if needed
- If necessary, perform surgery