Hammertoes are bony growths on toes.
Causes of Hammertoe
- Footwear that does not fit properly
- An imbalance in the muscular or biomechanical aspects of the body
- Genetic predisposition
What can a patient do?
- Soak the feet in water of a mild temperature
- Use cold compresses as needed
- Purchase shoes with sufficient room and support
What can a podiatrist do for you?
- Examine the problem area
- Perform tests to diagnose the deformity such as X-rays and MRIs
- Wrap the foot and recommend padding
- Prescribe arch supports or make custom ortheses
- If necessary, perform surgery