Onychomycosis, or fungus nail, is an infection of the toenail in which the nail changes color, thickness, and quality.
In addition to being unhealthy in appearance, it could cause pain and problems walking. Also, because of thickness, some people may have difficulties taking care of the nails. It is believed this condition afflicts approximately 3-5% of the population, but the number of unreported cases makes the percentage much higher.
Causes of Fungal Nails
- Genetic predisposition (that should be removed)
- Trauma to the toenail
- Systemic disease causing decrease in immune response and inability of the body to fight off infections.
- A dark and humid area created by socks and footwear
- Athlete’s foot being spread to the nail
What can a patient do?
- Wash and dry feet daily, and change shoes often
- Keep footwear free of moisture
- Be sure that the footwear is made of a breathable material
- Wear socks that repel moisture
- Keep tight hosiery to a minimum
- Wear shoes when in a public shower area
- Disinfect home nail trimming supplies
- Do not polish nails that appear to be infected
THE LASER SOLUTION
- Gets to the cause by killing the fungus-causing pathogens living in and under toenails
- The effective laser passes through the toenail without causing damage to the nail or the surrounding skin
- Safe, painless and has no side effects like oral medications
- Just walk in, get treated and walk out
- Takes 20 minutes, shoes and nail polish can be worn immediately after treatment