Warts are coarse, raised, benign growths. Warts are caused by viral infections.
Some warts have small black dots and are known as plantar warts because of their location on the bottom of the foot (plantar area).
Adolescents and children are more likely to have warts. A podiatrist should be seen regarding any strange growth because of the possibility that a cancerous lesion could be confused with a wart.
What can a patient do?
- Do not walk without shoes
- Keep feet dry
- Do not wear the same shoes everyday
- Do not attempt home treatments
What can a podiatrist do?
- Evaluate the wart from a medical perspective
- Determine a course of treatment, which could include possibly removing the wart(s) through surgery
- Prescribe correct medication